The History of
1st Park Street Scout Group
Originally, the Group was known as the 1st Munden Troop, which then changed to 1st Park Street and Bricket Wood Boy Scout Troop, 1st Frogmore (Holy Trinity) and finally reverting to the 1st Park Street Scout Group.
The Troop has had many headquarters over the years. Its very first base was believed to be in a hut alongside the now disused watercress beds in Burydell Lane, although today, there is no trace of the building. Since then, the Troop has been based at the Old School House, a hut behind Holy Trinity Vicarage, Branch Road (1930), and the village hall
The first Group was formed of 14 Scouts by Scoutmaster Mr H Nelson Cookes in 1908, under the patronage of Miss Elsie Holland-Hibbert, daughter of Arthur Henry Holland, 3rd Viscount of Knutsford, whose family was friendly with Robert Baden-Powell. The Group is reputed to be only the fourth Troop ever registered in the world.
However, at the start of the Scout movement, records and registration details of Troops were kept locally until after the First World War, when a new policy of centralised registration of Troops at UK Imperial Scout Headquarters was put into place in September 1920.
The South West Hertfordshire District was registered on 3rd November 1909. The 1st Munden was one of the 14 Troops listed. We can say without a doubt that our Group has a most prestigious place not only in Hertfordshire Scouting history, but also in the Scouting movement.
By 1912 the Scoutmaster role had been taken up by Mr Isaac Ernest Hill of Park Street Village.
On 30th March 1912 the 1st Munden Troop held their first concert in the Old Schoolroom in Bricket Wood. The arrangements were made by Miss Holland-Hibbert and Scoutmaster Isaac Ernest Hill.
Extract from The West Herts and Watford Observer,
Saturday 28th June 1913, on the wedding of Miss Elsie Holland-Hibbert to Mr Robert Chomley Faulconer at Aldenham Church:
'As the bride and bridegroom passed out of the church under the white muslin-lined awning to their waiting motor car, the boys of the Watford and Munden Troops of Scouts furnished a guard of honour and, with blue flags attached to their Scout poles, formed an archway over their heads.
"During the afternoon, the Boy Scouts offered their wedding present, an effective scene accompanying the presentation. Before the bride and bridegroom, standing beneath a tall cedar tree upon the lawn surrounded by many of the guests, the Scouts paraded and Scoutmaster Hill, on behalf of the Troop, asked the bride's acceptance of a salad bowl, for which they had subscribed.
'The bride accepted the gift with expressions of thanks, not only for the present but also for the kind thought which accompanied it. She also expressed the hope that the Scouts would live long for the cause they had enlisted to serve.'
Inset: Miss Elsie Holland-Hibbert (bride), Mr Robert Chomley Faulconer (groom) and Scoutmaster Isaac Ernest Hill
Inset: Boys of the 1st Munden
Extract from The Herts Advertiser, 17th August 1913, on the death of Scoutmaster Isaac Ernest Hill:
'Admired and respected by many in life, Isaac Ernest Hill, Scoutmaster of the 1st Munden Troop, met his death while cycling to work on the previous Sunday.
'He was given a Scout's funeral at Frogmore, Park Street. The Troop had just returned a few days earlier from Summer Camp at Lancing with the Cadets, when the tragedy happened. Scouts from the Munden, St Albans, Watford, Elstree, Bushey and Chorleywood Troops mustered in large numbers to take part in the ceremony.
'Hundreds of the general public walked from St Albans and the surrounding areas, so that the route from Isaac's home to the church was thickly lined with spectators, the men among whom respectfully doffed their hats as the procession passed.
'Every residence had blinds drawn and shutters closed in respect. The bearer party consisted of members of the Second Herts Cadet Company from Watford and of the Munden Scout Troop. They carried the oak coffin containing their leader shoulder high.
'A firing party provided by the Cadet Company with arms reversed led the procession, followed on foot by nearly twenty members of his family. After the mourners came the Scout County Commissioner Percy Everett with members of the local Districts, headed by the Union Flag dressed in crepe, as were the colours of all the Troops present.
'The Scouts attending all wore a black band around their hats and a ribbon tied around their knotted scarves. They marched with their staves reversed. There were scores of wreaths and tributes made to this well respected Scoutmaster who died at the early age of 49 years, including one which read: "With deepest sympathy from the Scouts of Lady Hyde's Own and First Oxhey Troop at Summer Camp in Herne Bay."'
(Death record reference: Isaac E Hill Sept 1913 Watford 3a 707 age 49)
The group was formally registered at Scout HQ on 25th September 1920 under the leadership of Scoutmaster Thomas Sidney Quick. Its Headquarters were the Old Schoolrooms, Park Street, with 23 Scouts on roll.
A Cub Pack was formed in April 1923, with E Owen as Cubmaster.
The programme that was handed out showed that there were nine troops in St Albans and one in Park Street.
The Wolf Cubs, Scouts and Rover Scouts of the District put on the arena displays.
Rover Scout G.M. Quick of the 1st Park Street Rover Crew was awarded the Gilt Cross for his bravery in stopping a runaway horse in Lattimore Road, St Albans.
A horse and cart had been in collision with a coal lorry. The horse was left with only the front wheels of the cart, and bolted.
On his pushbike, Rover Quick chased the horse down two streets and across junctions, until he caught up and steered it onto a pavement and against a wall, just short of a group of children.
When the horse reared, it gave him time to grab the reins and calm the horse until the owner arrived. The award was presented by County Commissioner Percy Everett at Frogmore Park in front of several hundred people.
The 3rd World Scout Jamboree was held between 31st July and 12th August 1929 at
Arrowe Park in Birkenhead, England
It was also known as the Coming of Age Jamboree, as it commemorated the 21st birthday of Scouting for Boys and the Scouting movement.
Hertfordshire sent a contingent of 200 members, including 36 members from nine groups within the St Albans District. Three members of the 1st Park Street Group attended this Jamboree.
The Hertfordshire contingent had a core staff of 4:
Camp Chief was Commander Phillip W Kent (RN)
Assistant County Commissioner and DC of Radlett District
ASM was George Dymoke Green (SM 4th St Albans & Editor of The Scouter)
QM was Charles Hancock (ASM 4th St Albans)
Rover Leader was A J Martin (Rover Scout Leader from St Albans).
The 200-strong Hertfordshire contingent at the 3rd World Jamboree 1929
On 30th September 1930 the group's GSM was Mr John Henry Kelly; Scoutmaster was Mr Peter Davis; ASM was Mr William Sutton; Cubmaster was Mrs Betty Lush; and ACM was Mrs Lily Kelly.
The Group's headquarters was in Branch Road, Park Street and had 7 Scouters, 24 Boy Scouts, 5 Senior Scouts, 33 Wolf Cubs& 1 Rover Scout.
A valued possession of the Group is a certificate from Lord Baden-Powell reading, 'I want to thank you for helping to give friendly shelter and assistance to our distressed refugee brothers.'
On 28th December 1946, the Group, under the leadership of Scoutmaster G R Wilson, changed its name to 1st Frogmore (Holy Trinity) following sponsorship from the church.
The group ceased to be church-sponsored and so re-formed in April 1960, reverting to its former name of 1st Park Street Scout Group.
The prosperity of the group has varied over the years, but the Troop had one of its best periods when in May 1963, under the Leadership of Scout Leader Mr P J Davies, Victor Bozier, Michael Fletcher and David Rowe were each awarded the Queen's Scout Badge by Mr F Marsh, the Assistant District Commissioner for Senior Scouts. He made the comment to all those present: 'It is always an event in the history of a Troop when you present three Queen's Scout Badges in one evening.'
Under the leadership of their Scoutmaster, Mr T Cursen, and the Akela, Miss Ann Tanner, the Group set to work to raise funds to build a £2500 headquarters on a site off Birchwood Way, Park Street, in which the Group still meets today